Monday, March 4, 2013

The Dreaded "E" Word

I've been thinking about it and saying I'm going to do it, so it's time to start.  Exercise.  To me it has the same negative implications as the "d" word.  Diet.  Both words represent failure, lack of discipline, and they are both temporary.  I realize you may not think so, but this is from my experience.

I know exercise is necessary for good health.  At different times in my life I have enjoyed the benefits of walking and riding both a bicycle and stationary bike.  I'm not a fan of the gym, swimming, running, high impact aerobics, or any sports related activities.  To be quite honest, when you're carrying around an extra hundred plus pounds, you really don't have the energy to get up and move unless it's necessary.  But I know I have to do it.  Both for stabilizing my blood sugar level and losing weight.

This is my stationary bike.  We bought it last year to help with the recovery from my knee surgery.  I rode it faithfully, but gradually stopped after I was done with physical therapy.  It was sitting in the family room and I rarely went in there.  So we moved it to where I sit directly across from it and have no excuse to not get on it.  It's going to be a long slow process to work up to a really good workout.  So far I can only manage five  minutes a day.  I know that's better than nothing.

How do you feel about exercise?

xo Annette xo



6 comments:

Meeling said...

That's quite a fancy looking bike - I'm sure it rides very nicely.

I go through stages with exercise. Sometimes I'll workout a lot and other times next to nothing, which I know isn't good for me. I have really achy knees and one bad arm (from being broken many years ago) so I have to watch what I do. It needs to be fairly low impact or I pay for it the next few days. Lately a friend has gotten me into yoga and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. It's slow moving, yet I feel like I get a good workout. We have a treadmill and I do use that for walking when I can't actually get outside for a walk.

Then there's all those busy 3 year olds I chase around at work - they keep me in shape!! ;-)

Cyndi J said...

Exercise? Hate it! That's a very impressive bike and it looks like it would be very comfortable. Watch TV or read to help pass the time. Do you believe Janet has been exercising for 33 years? I think she got our share of exercise motivation.

Mary Harding said...

I love exercise that doesn't feel like it like roto tilling the garden etc. And walks can be fun too. Recently I have been using the Leslie Sansone CDs for walkig in place in front of the TV and find it quite ok. i.e. not so boring as the exercise bike etc.

Additionsstyle said...

5 minutes a day is a perfect place to start. As you keep adding time it will soon be a habit. I don't mind exercising now, it took a long time but everyday I go I feel a little better.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

Susie said...

Before I was afraid of the word exercise for I am too lazy about it. Until I realize that I need to exercise for I am having health problems. Now I am not afraid of it and I can do it regularly.

Almost Precious said...

I too am not fond of exercise, always thought it was because I am not very athletic but realize that it is really because I am just basically lazy. :(