Monday, February 25, 2013

My Struggle With Type 2 Diabetes

Just over fifteen years ago I found out I had type 2 diabetes.  It was quite a shock but also a relief to know what was wrong with me.  I had many of the classic symptoms which included increased thirst, frequent urination, extreme fatigue, unexplained weight loss, and constant headaches.  My blood sugar was over 500.  A normal blood sugar level first thing in the morning for someone without diabetes is less than 100.


The first few months were overwhelming and very frustrating.  Right away I had to start pricking my finger several times a day to check my blood sugar.  I had to see a dietician and completely change the way I ate.  The search was on for the right medication and the right dose that I could tolerate without too many side effects.  Doctor appointments and blood tests happened (and still do) every three months.

I've never been a good diabetes patient.  I will go for a few months being very good with my diet and checking my blood sugar, and then go for a few months eating whatever I want and not sticking my finger every day.  I would cancel doctor appointments so I wouldn't have to face the truth of what my neglect was doing.  And if I'm really honest, I was ashamed and embarrassed.  Unfortunately, after years of this kind of behavior, it has led to being on insulin and the beginnings of diabetes complications.

Every three months I have the A1c blood test.  It shows the average blood sugar over a twelve week period.  Knowing this information helps the doctor know how well the medication, diet, and blood sugar monitoring are doing and if adjustments need to be made.  The highest my A1c has been is 10.2.  My last test at the beginning of February was 8.0.  This was very good news because it came down.  However, my doctor wants it to come down to between  6 and 7.  That is the target for good glucose control.  I know I can get there with continued hard work.  The next test will be in May.

In this struggle to health and wellness, I have to lose weight, but I also have to bring my blood sugar down to a normal level and keep it there.  That means eating for this disease first.  Of course, I will lose weight along the way, but it is a difficult and often very frustrating balance.  I'll be sharing much more of life with diabetes as the days go by.  

3 comments:

Meeling said...

Sounds like a tough journey Annette, but you are making progress and that's great!! Just take it one day at a time. Baby steps and you will get there! :-)

Claire said...

hi annette, i too have had type 2 - for a similar time period... it is hard work, but hang in there :) don't be too hard on yourself - my dr says anything under 10 is good, and she's happy with 8... i just want to offer encouragement and to say i think this blog is a great idea, and i'll drop by again :) blessings for the journey xx

Juliana Vanslyke @ Medicine Shoppe Crowfoot said...

Dealing with diabetes, or any kind of disease for that matter, always requires a lifestyle change. Whether it's following a strict diet or routine intake of medicine, there are sacrifices to be made. While it's hard to cope with at first, having a strong mindset makes it easier. Having said that, I hope everything is working well for you, Annette!